Monday, August 2, 2010

Diggin' Through the Crates : Feel it in the Air

"Diggin' Through the Crates" is going to be an opputunity to show love to my fellow "hip hop heads". We will be taking a close look MC's, albums, and songs that have inspired me. Our first feature will cover a song that gives me chills every time I hear it, Beanie Sigel's "Feel it in the Air".

The first verse, Sigel states an suspicion of betrayal. The MC refuses to show his cards though and acts normal with lines such as "I still paint that perfect picture, I still shine bright like a prism".

In verse two, the suspicion grows into paranoia. Siegel finds safety at home, surrounding himself with multiple firearms, carrying extra ammunition, and wearing a ballistic vest. The cabin fever is eating at him by saying that "I sit alone in my four cornered room starin at hammers, ready to go banannas". Siegel is now analyzing the actions of his circle, but still doesn't display his growing suspicion.

During the hook between the second and third verses Siegel challenges fate, a flaw that is common in heroes of greek tragedies.

With the third and final verse, the rapper's paranoia worsens, as it start to show outside his home. Now Siegel has upgraded to carrying an uzi and circling the block for parking his car. We also find the MC starting to make peace with his fate. Sigel tries to use his actions as a cautionary tale.
                                                
                                                  "why do I speak blasphemy
                                                   knowing one day that he'll ask for me     
                                                   ask for my sins
                                                   no one to feel his wrath for me
                                                   I go through it so you wouldn't do it after me"

This song is Beanie Sigel's masterpiece. Here we find Siegel simply telling a story, in lieu of using clever analogies and metaphors. It was recorded around the time of his impending incarceration for felony gun charges. Sigel was able to pull from real life experiences to give this song an ominous feeling. For a brief moment, Beanie Sigel dropped the "Broad Street Bully" persona and showed a more vulnerable side.

The somber instrumental is produced by Heavy D. Yes, the same artist responsible for "Now That We Found Love". I'm not sure if you would call the sample a "sped up soul sample" or rather a change in pitch. Either way it appropriatly serves the tone of the song. Like some of Sigel's lyrics, the saxophone is defiant of it's grim surroundings. With this instrumental Heavy D reminds us, that sometimes the best approach is to keep it simple.

This song is a combination of things that are just "right". Beanie Sigel is far from my favorite MC, but with his different lyrical approach, Heavy D's instrumental, and beautiful backing vocals by Melissa, he has crafted one of my favorite songs.

I apologize for not being able to find an uncersored version on youtube.


Feel free to leave a comment if you have a song, artist or album that you would reccomend!

No comments:

Post a Comment