Tuesday, September 14, 2010

BCC2010: Ghostbusters Con-Volution!

Walking around the Baltimore Comic-Con floor, I couldn't help but notice a Ghostbusters comic.

Ghostbusters is one of my favorite franchises ever. The original Ghostbusters movie is one of my favorite movies of all time (one of my feel good movies as well). I loved the cartoon series, The Real Ghostbusters, as a kid. I grew up with the Ghostbusters and continue to love them to this day. So obviously I had my hesitations when I saw a Ghostbusters comic. Could the comic hold up and be an extension of the Ghostbusters? Is this just a milking of a franchise hoping for more money with the recent success with the Ghostbusters video game and rumors of Ghostbusters 3? So I sat down with Ghostbusters Con-Volution and I thought it held up pretty well.

*NOTE* Possible spoilers after here, but I will try to keep them to an absolute minimum.

Written by Keith Dallas and Jim Beard, the Ghostbusters comic really feels like a cross between the movies and cartoon series. This particular comic felt a little more like the cartoon series because of the "comic-con" theme. In the movies, you never see the team without their trusty proton packs at the climax of the film. However, there were certain situations in the cartoon series where they left their gear behind and had to find alternate means of dealing with a ghost. This happens in this story and its done in a pretty fun way. You can tell the writers had fun with tying in some real life likenesses related to the comic world. The humor is pretty good as well, with jokes (again) really filling the space between the movies and cartoons. I am excited to get my hands on the rest of the comics in this series to see if they feel any more like the movies (I also want to see the proton packs in action :P).

One of my only real gripes with the comic is extremely minor and or an art related note. Josh Howard does a good job with the art, however I wish there was a little bit more difference in the way Ray Stantz and Peter Venkman were drawn. You can tell the difference between them with their dialog, but its hard to decipher one from the other by just looking at them. Other than that, I really enjoyed this one.

All in all, if you are a fan of Ghostbusters, this is going to be worth your time. Its fun and nostalgic. Give it a shot and let us know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment