Friday, July 2, 2010

"I Ain't Gotta Do It Big, I Just Gotta Do It Different."

Childish Gambino's new album "Culdesac" drops today! Many people might know him better as Troy on NBC's "Community", or simply as Donald Glover. His career seems to have blown up as of late, but Glover has been doing a lot far before the recent success of "Community". Glover was a writer for "30 Rock" where he was nominated for Best Comedy Series by the Writers Guild of America. He is also part of the Derrick Comedy Sketch group, starred in last years release of the amazing comedy "Mystery Team", and has also released 4 rap albums in the past 2 years.

Now I am not going to pretend to be any kind of rap critic, but everything about what Glover does just feels so fresh. It has been a long time since I have had this much fun listening to a rapper, or I should really say rap in general. His extremely clever lyrics, great flow, and unique, somewhat nerdy and carefree approach to it all truly sucks you in. It's extremely approachable on many levels, and something smart that I feel rap has been missing for a long time. This stands out in his I Am Just A Rapper albums where he takes some amazing indie songs (vocals and all) and adds a new lyrical masterpiece over them. This is a first from what I know, and there is just something super charming and fun about it. Glover brings together two very different genres and makes it work perfectly. Here is a quote that I found that I feel really hits the nail on the head for Childish Gambino:
"He has changed the game. Being street or hood is no longer a requirement. Now to be a sick MC you gotta be intelligent and clever with mad swagger and he has more than enough."

As mentioned before, you can download "Culdesac" today, and guess what... Its FREE! Thats right. FREE! You should be going to download it right now just based on that fact! Head on over to http://www.iamdonald.com/ or http://www.childishgambino.com/ where you can find "Culdesac" and all of his other albums for download.

Below is a sample of his work. The song is "Bitch, Look At Me Now" from I Am Just A Rapper where he raps over one of Grizzly Bear's most popular songs, "Two Weeks".

*Video may be NSFW due to language*

5 comments:

  1. imma try to make my street cred stack up, i mean i'm rapping over grizzly bear wtf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think he's posted the link to download it. I'm getting impatient. waaah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! I really thought he would have posted it by now. I'm thinking he might be waiting until noon PST, or at least that is what I am hoping for at the moment. Unfortunately we are just going to have to wait and see.

    Let us know what you think of the new album after you give it a listen! I have really high hopes for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dc MC Wale did something similar on his Back to the Feature mixtape. He used songs from Duffy, Peter,Bjorn and John, and Yael Naim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have all his songs on my IPOD. I'm so glad people are finally listening. He's pretty fantastic.

    ReplyDelete